Buffy goes to France (eventually) – part 2

 (Buffy at eleven weeks – food is being held out to her, just out of shot, otherwise she’d never have posed nicely like this)

Buffy is now a little over thirteen weeks old. Since she’s had the second of her set of  standard injections it’s now safe for her to go out and see some of the great wide world (up until now she’s been pretty much confined to the house and garden). She took to walking on the harness and lead very well (it’s the sitting still while the harness is put on that causes difficulty). Bull terriers are very distinctive dogs, and she is very attractively marked ( OK – we’re biased), as well as being a lively puppy, all of which means that she attracts a lot of attention from other people when she is out. She is a complete tart and responds to this ecstatically. She is also very friendly towards other dogs, which comes as something of a relief.

Her trip to the vet’s for her anti-rabies injection went very smoothly. She’s no particular fear of the vet (though Sue believes that this will change the first time she has her temperature taken rectally!) so it’s not difficult getting her into the consulting room. (It’s becoming a bit of an effort to lift her onto the examination table though). After scanning her to make sure that the microchip implanted last time was still in place (it was), and that she was who we said she was, the vet swiftly administered the injection and as usual Buffy didn’t seem to feel a thing. (I however winced with pain when the cost of the injection was equally swiftly removed from my bank account!)

If we were going to be taking Buffy to France for good, a pet passport could now be issued, the conditions (micro-chipping and vaccinations) having been met. (The passport doesn’t become valid for travel until 21 days after the date of the rabies vaccination). However as we are not yet ready to make our permanent move, we want her to be able to travel with us, and (naturally) to be able to bring her back with us when we return to the uk. So she has to have a blood test to establish that the vaccination has taken – then there’s a six month wait. Her blood test is scheduled for the first week in May and has to be conducted by a person licensed to do so.

More when this happens

Peter and Sue